Monday, January 21, 2008

Don't Worry That It's Not Good Enough

Sing

Written by Joe Raposo

Sing
Sing a song
Sing out loud
Sing out strong
Sing of good things, not bad
Sing of happy, not sad

Sing
Sing a song
Make it simple
To last your whole life long
Don't worry that it's not good enough
For anyone else to hear
Sing
Sing a song

La la la la la la la la la la la
La la la la la la la
La la la la la la la la la la la
La la la la la la la

Sing
Sing a song
Sing out loud
Sing out strong
Sing of good things, not bad
Sing of happy, not sad

Sing
Sing a song
Make it simple
To last your whole life long
Don't worry that it's not good enough
For anyone else to hear
Sing
Sing a song

That bit of wisdom from Sesame Street has been going through my mind since I decided to start this project. I included some of the more recent poetry just to keep pushing outward.

When I was young, I wrote and drew fairly regularly. Sadly enough, as time went on I developed enough self-doubt to be stopped with the concern that it was all so bad that I'd just be ridiculed. It's been interesting to watch the process of art and writing classes show up unexpectedly and without cost over the last year or so to rekindle the flame. I think God's trying to tell me to take the plunge again.

If we do what we do to please people, we'll never succeed. I survived my divorce due largely to the catharsis that my albums by my favorite group afforded me. I thought it was some of the most well-organized, evocative work ever, and it helped me to drain off the pain of an abusive marriage that ended with stalking and harassment. I can find bad reviews even on this lofty art. There's no such thing as artistic works so perfect that no one will ever criticize them. Human beings are wired too differently for everyone to like the same things.

I don't advocate everyone trying to live on their art, but it doesn't hurt to go ahead and start the process, even if it isn't initially so impressive. Improvement doesn't come without practice, and trial and error. We are not as flawless as God in our creativity; it's enough that we possess the desire and ability as part of the image after which we are patterned. We may be surprised to find ourselves brightening someone's world for a little while.

2 comments:

cindy kay said...

Was that song originally from Sesame Street? How funny! (I only remember it as a Carpenters song.)

By the way, welcome to the blog world!

PrayerMom said...

Thanks--now I have to both write and mess with HTML in public. I'm certainly glad that you got your writing before the world.